Well-secluded from the masses, the Orto Botanico di Roma (Botanical Garden of Rome) is unassumingly on the lower slopes of Gianicolo or Janiculum Hill in the medieval neighbourhood of Trastevere, Rome, Italy.
A peaceful and green sanctuary, the Garden accessible by crossing the River Tiber away from the chaotic tourist centre of Rome.
Established in 1883 on the formerly private grounds of the 17th century Palazzo Corsini, the Orto Botanico di Roma succeeded the Papal Botanical Garden dating back to the Renaissance period. Going back in history even earlier, the area that contains the Palazzo Corsini and the Botanical Garden encompassed the thermal baths of Roman Emperor Septimius Severus, who reigned between 193 to 211 AD.
Managed by the Sapienza University of Rome, the Botanical Garden spreads over 12 hectares (30 acres) of sloping land contains over 3000 plant species from all over the world. Gravel pathways gently wind around the well-marked Garden that provides a full sensory journey of smell, touch, taste and varied shades of light and colour.
The Garden is replete with various specimens of exotic Palms, a bamboo forest, a Japanese garden, a medicinal garden, various greenhouses, cascading waterfalls and fountains and exceptional specimens of mature trees, native to the area and from all regions of the world. The enchanting Orto Botanico di Roma offers a relaxing serene refuge from the hustle and bustle of Rome and is on the top of my list to visit whenever I visit Rome.
Abu Simbel Egypt is home to one of the most prominent temples of the world – the Great Temple of Ramses II.
The monumental temple complex of Abu Simbel is situated beside Lake Nasser in the heart of Nubian territory in southern Egypt near the border of Sudan. The two temples there were constructed during the 13th century BC (19th Dynasty) for the pharaoh Ramses II and his favourite wife Nefertari.
Taking the throne at the age of 20, Ramses II (aka Ramesses II, Ramses the Great) ruled for an amazing 67 years during the 19th Dynasty (1279-1212 BC) which is the second longest reign of all the ancient Egyptian pharaohs. He was also was a busy man in that he reportedly fathered over 100 children from several wives.
The main temple’s facade has four colossal 20 metre high seated sculptures of Ramses who built the Temple to remind the Nubians that he and no one else is their supreme monarch. The smaller Temple of Nefertari was built for the favourite wife of Ramses II.
The new site was landscaped to match its previous location (including the hill) and what is seen today has been perfectly restored to how it was prior to the monumental move.
Abu Simbel is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site together with Nubian Monuments from Abu Simbel to Philae.
The medieval walled citadel city of Mdina is perched on a rocky outcrop in the south-west of Malta.
Mdina has been a place of sanctuary since the Bronze Age because of its naturally defensible location. The city served as the Malta’s capital from antiquity to the medieval period and during that period was the centre of the Maltese nobility and religious establishments.
Nicknamed the Silent City (only 300 inhabitants), Mdina is an elegant and well preserved fortified city. Within its solid walls lay a fascinating maze of twisting narrow alleyways flanked by yellow-sand stoned Baroque influenced architecture, some with hidden courtyards and adorned with elaborate balconies, balustrades and door knockers.
In the city’s heart is the Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint Paul, founded in the 12th century on the very site where Publius, Roman Governor of Malta, met St. Paul following his shipwreck.
Mdina is on the tentative list of UNESCO World Heritage Site and is a popular tourist attraction in Malta.
The birthplace and spiritual home of the Olympic Games, Ancient Olympia continues to captivate as it did for a thousand years from 776 BC, when Greeks assembled in war and peace to celebrate the games and life.
Ancient Olympia is magically set in a lush valley between two rivers in the western Peloponnese prefecture of Elia, southern Greece. Dedicated to the Ancient Greek God Zeus, the games which according to one legend were established by Ancient Greek Hero Herakles to honor the achievement of his 12 labours.
The games were held here every fours year’s from 776 BC onwards for over a thousand years and remarkably the champion’s name of each event is recorded.
Amidst its shady groves of pine, olive and blooming Judas trees, Olympia’s evocative ruins of its celebrated past are on show, including the remains of the Palaestra where the athletes trained, the stadium where the foot races were held and the hippodrome where the horse events took place.
At its centre, in the sacred sanctuary, the glorious 5th century Temple of Zeus lays in ruins. Its colossal Doric columns lay toppled in the ground unmoved since being destroyed by tremendous earthquakes in the 6th century. Comparable in size to the Athenian Parthenon, The Temple of Zeus housed the long-lost 12-metre high golden statue of Zeus, created by the Greek sculptor Pheidias (Phidias) and one of the seven wonders of the ancient world.
Finally, its marvellous museum is full of world-class exhibits and masterpieces of antiquity, including 5th century BC statue of the winged Nike by the sculptor Paeonius (or Paionios) of Mende and the Praxiteles’ marble statue of Hermes, possibly the finest figurative sculpture ever made.
Ancient Olympia is a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Dramatically set amongst the clouds high on the Western Taurus mountain range in Turkey, ancient Sagalassos was Hellenised, Romanised, Christianised, destroyed, abandoned, buried and then lost for centuries.
According to ancient Hittite records, Sagalassos was established around the 14th century BC in the heart of ancient Pisidia, a mountainous geopolitical region. Various empires controlled and or influenced the city over the next 1000 years, including the Phrygians, Lydians, Persians and Greeks.
A pivotal development in the history of Sagalassos occurred in 333 BC when, Alexander the Great, on his way to conquer the Persians and the known world, sacked the city after encounter fierce resistance from the Pisidian’s who had a reputation of being bold, rebellious and warlike.
Hellenism came with Alexander’s conquest of the region, and Sagalassos embraced all facets of Greek civilization and formed part of the Greek cultural territories. This had a long-lasting prosperous effect on Sagalassos as it became the most progressive city of Pisidia and new trade opportunities and routes opened up.
The Romans arrived in the 1st century BC and Sagalassos became part of the expanding Roman Empire. The city’s prosperity continued to grow and became a vital trade hub and urban centre of the region.
Sagalassos exported grain and olives and become famous for producing its signature ‘red slip ware’, which was tableware of high quality.
The decline of Sagalassos began from around 500 AD when the city was struck by plagues, water shortages, catastrophic earthquakes and the first Arabs raids.
Sagalassos was ultimately abandoned around the 7th century with most of the population moving to the valley below. It is believed that some of the city was re-occupied in parts by a minor settlement until the 13th century, and then fully abandoned and forgotten. Natural erosion and vegetation growth subsequently covered the buildings of the abandoned city and, as a result, Sagalassos was lost for centuries until it was rediscovered in the 18th century.
The extensive site (which includes an Upper and Lower City) has been undergoing large-scale excavations and restoration since 1990 and features many well-preserved remnants from its splendid past. Highlights include the monumental Nymphaeum, Roman Baths, Heroon, Bouleterion, rock tombs, Agoras, Colonnaded Street and the great Hellenistic style Roman theatre which seated 9000 spectators and is the highest (altitude) built theatre in the world.
The ruins of Sagalassos are situated high in the Western Toros (Taurus) mountains, at an altitude of 1450-1700 metres and are near the town of Aglasun in the Burdur Province in south-western Turkey. Sagalassos is a very enjoyable day trip from the well-known port and holiday resort of Antalya, which is approximately 110 km to the south of the ancient city.
Sagalassos was added to the tentative list of sites submitted to UNESCO for World Heritage Site status in 2009.
The Greco-Roman ancient city of Jerash in Jordan is one of the best-preserved ancient Roman provincial towns in the Mediterranean.
Located 48 kilometres north of Amman (capital of Jordan), Jerash (also known as Gerash) existed as a small insignificant settlement before the Greeks founded the city during the Hellenistic period after the conquest of Alexander the Great in the 3rd century. As the city grew into an urban centre, it became part of the Decapolis, a federation of Greek cities founded in the Hellenistic era within the region.
After the Roman conquest of the region in 63 BC, the city was absorbed into the vast Roman Empire and grew prosperous as more trade flowed through it. Emperor Hadrian even visited the city during 129 AD. Jerash reached its zenith and golden age during the 2nd and 3rd centuries AD, when a building frenzy took place mainly because of the generous donations of the city’s wealthy residents.
Jerash has several outstanding and ornate architectural remnants of its past. Among the more spectacular remains are a striking oval forum, the Cardo with its flanking colonnaded triumphal arches, food market, hippodrome, two theatres and temples of Zeus and Artemis.
Jerash Archaeological City is on the Unesco Tentative List, which is a list of properties considered being cultural and/or natural heritage of outstanding universal value and therefore suitable for inscription on the Unesco World Heritage List.